Shrimp-and-Broccoli Noodle Salad
- Cook broccoli, covered, in boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Cool slightly and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add bean threads to a saucepan of boiling water, then remove pan from heat. Cut ginger into thin strips and add to saucepan. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes until noodles are pliable; drain. Rinse with cool water. Drain well. Toss noodle mixture and shrimp into broccoli.
- For dressing, stir together the vinegar, sugar, salad oil, sesame oil, salt, pepper, and water. Gently toss dressing into broccoli mixture until well-coated. Makes four (1-1/4-cup) servings.
- Recipe adapted from East-West Flavors II Cookbook, published by the West Los Angeles Japanese-American Cultural League Auxiliary.
- 2 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 meat, 1 fat
From the Test Kitchen
Bean threads, or cellophane noodles, are dried green mung beans that become translucent "noodles" when soaked briefly in hot water. You'll find them in various sizes in Asian sections of supermarkets and at Asian grocery stores.
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp-and-Broccoli Noodle Salad)
- Per serving:
- 283 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 583 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 19 g pro.