Farm Salad with Sweet Peppers and Sage Croutons
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.* Halve peppers lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and veins. Place pepper halves, cut side down, on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 20 to 25 minutes. Enclose peppers in foil; let stand about 15 minutes or until cool. Use a sharp knife to gently loosen and remove skins. Cut peppers in bite-size strips.
- In a large salad bowl combine greens, sage, herb flowers, tomatoes, pepper strips, and sage croutons; toss with about half the vinaigrette; pass remaining. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you have a gas range, you can put each pepper on a long handled fork and roast directly over flame, turning until all sides are browned. Wrap before peeling, as above.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- In screw-top jar combine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Shake to combine.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Tear baguette in enough bite-size pieces to equal 4 cups. In large bowl toss bread with olive oil, sage, garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Spread in 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until browned, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts (Farm Salad with Sweet Peppers and Sage Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 128 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 217 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.