Jambalaya Salad with Greens
- In a large saucepan combine rice, water, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; rinse rice well with cool water. Drain and set aside.
- Bias-slice sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In a large skillet brown sausage over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off fat. Remove sausage from skillet. Add the 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet; cook onion in hot oil until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for Citrus-Pepper Dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the 1/3 cup olive oil, orange peel, orange juice, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, salt, ground red pepper, and black pepper. Cover and shake dressing well. Use immediately or chill. Shake again before using.
- In a very large bowl combine rice, sausage, onion, cooked crawfish tails or shrimp, tomato, sweet pepper, and parsley. Add the Citrus-Pepper Dressing; toss well. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To serve, arrange greens on a large platter; top with the chilled seafood mixture. Makes 16 to 20 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare salad but do not add greens. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. Serve over greens.
Nutrition Facts (Jambalaya Salad with Greens)
- Per serving:
- 237 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 341 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 11 g pro.