Classic Potato Salad
- In a medium saucepan place potatoes, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain well; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a large bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Stir in the celery, onion, and pickles. Add the potatoes and eggs. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, if desired, line a salad bowl with lettuce leaves. Transfer the potato salad to the bowl. If desired, sprinkle with paprika.
- Makes 12 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Herb-Roasted Garlic Potato Salad:
Prepare as directed, except use coarse ground mustard in place of the yellow mustard and omit pickles. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of a garlic bulb to expose ends of individual cloves. Leaving garlic bulb whole, remove any loose, papery outer layers. Place in a custard cup. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roast, covered, about 25 minutes or until garlic feels soft when squeezed; cool. Squeeze cloves from bulb into a small bowl, mash with a fork, and stir into dressing. Stir 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, parsley, or tarragon into dressing.
Nutrition analysis: 243 calories, 5 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 20 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 320 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 5% iron
Sour Cream and Dill Potato Salad:
Prepare as directed, except reduce mayonnaise or salad dressing to 3/4 cup, use Dijon-style mustard in place of the yellow mustard, and omit pickles. Stir 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill into dressing. If desired, garnish salad with fresh dill sprigs.
Nutrition Analysis: 192 calories, 5 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 19% Vitamin C, 293 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 4% iron
Peppercorn Ranch-Chicken Potato Salad:
Prepare as directed, except reduce mayonnaise or salad dressing to 3/4 cup and omit yellow mustard, ground black pepper, and pickles. Stir 3/4 cup bottled peppercorn ranch salad dressing and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper into dressing. Stir 2 cups shredded cooked chicken into salad with the potatoes; sprinkle salad with additional cracked black pepper.
Nutrition analysis: 284 calories, 11 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 21 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 19% Vitamin C, 405 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 6% iron
Nutrition Facts (Classic Potato Salad)
- Per serving:
- 277 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 120 mg chol. ,
- 337 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.