Homemade Caesar Salad
- For dressing, in a blender or food processor combine the 3 garlic cloves, the anchovy fillets, and lemon juice. Cover and blend or process until mixture is nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add oil, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cooked egg yolk. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, rub inside of a wooden salad bowl with cut edges of halved garlic clove; discard garlic clove. Add romaine and croutons to bowl. Pour dressing over salad.; toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top; toss gently. To serve, divide salad among salad plates; sprinkle pepper over each salad. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chicken Caesar Salad:
Prepare as at left, except add 2 cups chopped cooked chicken with the romaine. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts per 1 cup: 331 cal., 22 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 106 mg chol., 450 mg sodium, 13 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 21 g pro.
Daily Values: 57% vit. A, 44% vit. C, 16% calcium, 14% iron
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Starch, 2 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 4 Fat
- Cut four 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread into 3/4-inch cubes; set aside. In a large skillet melt butter or margarine. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Add bread cubes, stirring until cubes are coated with butter mixture. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 10 minutes; stir. Bake about 10 minutes more or until bread cubes are crisp and golden. Cool completely; store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes about 2 cups (sixteen 2-tablespoon servings).
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Caesar Salad)
- Per serving:
- 243 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 64 mg chol. ,
- 409 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.