Sage and Bacon Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook 4 slices of the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Cook remaining bacon 4 to 5 minutes or just until beginning to brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Finely chop the crisp bacon; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg, 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream, 1/2 cup of the red onion, the pecans, 2 tablespoons of the fresh sage, the salt, and pepper. Add pork and 3/4 of the finely chopped bacon; mix well.
- Shape meat mixture into 16 meatballs. Place meatballs in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until done (160 degrees F).* Cool 15 minutes.
- Thread 2 meatballs and 1 slice of the partially cooked bacon onto a 4-inch skewer, weaving bacon around meatballs. Repeat with remaining meatballs and bacon slices. Place on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat 4 to 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning once.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, cook the remaining 1/4 cup onion and the garlic in the reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the remaining heavy cream and the remaining snipped sage. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining finely chopped bacon.
- Arrange meatball kabobs on a platter with sage leaves, if desired. Serve with sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A pork meatball cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the meatball.
Nutrition Facts (Sage and Bacon Meatballs)
- Per serving:
- 370 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 123 mg chol. ,
- 369 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 16 g pro.