Rustic Blueberry Basil Tarts
- For rye dough, in a medium bowl stir together rye flour, all-purpose flour, the 1 tablespoon sugar, and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a food processor combine sliced almonds, whole wheat pastry flour, and the 1/4 cup sugar. Cover and process until almonds are finely ground. Set aside. In a large bowl combine blueberries, the 3 tablespoons sugar, the basil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide pastry dough into four equal portions. On a piece of lightly floured parchment paper, roll one of the dough portions into a circle 8 inches in diameter. Slide parchment paper with pastry circle onto a large baking sheet; set aside. Repeat with the remaining three dough portions. Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of the ground almond mixture onto the center of each pastry circle, leaving the outer 1-1/2 inches uncovered. Top each pastry circle with 1 cup of the blueberry mixture. Fold uncovered pastry up and over filling, pleating as necessary and using paper to lift pastry border.
- Lightly brush pastry top and sides with egg. In a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over pastry and filling.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
If you are unable to find rye flour, substitute whole wheat pastry flour.
Nutrition Facts (Rustic Blueberry Basil Tarts)
- Per serving:
- 265 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 154 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.