Rum-Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake
- Allow butter, eggs, and egg yolk to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, generously grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a small bowl stir together flour and baking powder. In a medium bowl combine milk and rum. Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape out seeds from vanilla beans. Stir vanilla seeds into milk mixture; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating about 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolk; beat for 1 minute. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
Do not sprinkle cake with powdered sugar. Wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap; overwrap tightly with foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight at room temperature. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Blogger Variation by Alejandra Ramos of Always Order Dessert
For Alejandra's version, prepare as above, except add 1 tablespoon ground Saigon cinnamon and a pinch of kosher salt to the flour mixture in Step 1. In Step 2, omit brown sugar and use 1 cup granulated sugar. While the cake cools, in a large saucepan combine 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 cup water, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 3 3-inch cinnamon sticks. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Stir in 1/2 cup light rum. Wash and dry the same fluted tube pan and coat with nonstick spray for baking. Return cake to pan. Pour hot syrup over cake. Cover and let stand for 4 to 24 hours. Remove from pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar and additional cinnamon just before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Rum-Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake)
- Per serving:
- 264 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 78 mg chol. ,
- 181 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.