Rum-Praline Shortbread Bites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate; set aside. In a medium bowl combine pecans, brown sugar, and whipping cream. Spread nut mixture evenly in the prepared pie plate. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until coating is dry and crystallized, stirring once. Transfer nuts to a sheet of foil; cool completely.
- In a food processor combine cooled nuts and 1/4 cup of the flour. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until nuts are finely ground. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine the remaining 2 cups of flour, the salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in rum and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour mixture just until combined. Stir in the ground nut mixture. Form dough into a ball; flatten slightly. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper into a 10x14-inch rectangle. Sprinkle dough with turbinado sugar. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough into 1-inch squares. Arrange squares 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Using the blunt end of a bamboo skewer, poke four holes into each cookie so cookies resemble dice.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Rum-Praline Shortbread Bites)
- Per serving:
- 29 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 30 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.