Ruby Red Breakfast Turnovers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium skillet cook shredded beets in hot butter over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apple; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or just until beets and apple are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; stir in honey and apple pie spice. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Unfold puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll pastry to a 12-inch square. Cut into four 6-inch squares.
- Spoon one-fourth of the beet mixture into the center of each pastry square. Fold each square in half diagonally to make a triangle. Using a fork, press edges together to seal. Transfer turnovers to prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the egg white and water until foamy. Brush egg white mixture onto turnovers. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits in each turnover. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Transfer turnovers to a wire rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Working with raw beets can stain your hands. To keep your hands from turning red, as well as to cut prep time, use a food processor to quickly shred the beets and apple.
Nutrition Facts (Ruby Red Breakfast Turnovers)
- Per serving:
- 486 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 59 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.