Round Reindeer Gingerbread Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Melt milk chocolate pieces or brown candy coating disks; cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate into a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Snip a small hole in one bag corner and pipe melted chocolate on for antlers. Cut tiny marshmallows in half. Use melted chocolate to attach a marshmallow half for each eye and a red candy-coated chocolate piece for each nose. Pipe a dot of melted chocolate onto each marshmallow half for a pupil.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for candy coating disks in the cake decorating section of a crafts store.
Nutrition Facts (Round Reindeer Gingerbread Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.