Rosemary-Garlic Grilled Steak Salad
- Trim fat from steaks; set aside. In a small bowl combine rosemary, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over steaks; rub in with your fingers.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place steaks on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees F) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. Meanwhile, place mushrooms and onion slices on grill rack. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. Coarsely chop mushrooms and onion.
- Spread lettuce on a large serving platter. In a large bowl combine mushrooms, onion, barley, and tomatoes. Add half of the Red Wine Vinaigrette; toss to coat. Spoon mushroom mixture on top of lettuce.
- Slice steaks. Arrange steak slices on top of salad. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Top with Candied Rosemary Walnuts.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare Candied Rosemary Walnuts. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Prepare salad as directed through Step 3, except do not spoon mushroom mixture on top of lettuce. Cover and chill steaks, lettuce, mushroom mixture, and the remaining vinaigrette separately for up to 24 hours. To serve, spoon mushroom mixture on top of lettuce and continue as directed in Step 4.
Instead of making Red Wine Vinaigrette, use 2/3 cup bottled vinaigrette salad dressing. In place of Candied Rosemary Walnuts, use 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts.
Candied Rosemary Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray; set baking sheet aside. In a small bowl stir together sugar, rosemary, salt, and pepper; set aside. In a medium bowl combine egg white and the water. Add walnuts; toss to coat. Drain any excess liquid. Sprinkle sugar mixture over walnuts; toss to coat. Spread nuts on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once. Transfer foil with the nuts to a wire rack; cool. If necessary, break into pieces.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- In a screw-top jar combine vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, rosemary, garlic, and salt. Cover and shake well.
Nutrition Facts (Rosemary-Garlic Grilled Steak Salad)
- Per serving:
- 408 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 423 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.