Rootin'-Tootin' Hot Dogs
The day before:
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in root beer, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, root beer flavoring (if desired), chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes more or until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- If desired, puree sauce in saucepan with an immersion blender or place in a blender, cover, and blend until smooth. Transfer sauce to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote sauce, frankfurters, and desired toppings in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. Prick frankfurters so there is less chance for skins to split. For a charcoal grill, grill frankfurters on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 7 to 10 minutes or until heated through and grill marks appear, turning occasionally during grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place frankfurters on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Meanwhile, reheat sauce, if desired. Transfer sauce to a small disposable foil pan. While franks are grilling, add sauce to grill. Reheat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve frankfurters in buns; drizzle with warm or chilled sauce. Top with toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Small disposable foil pan (optional)
Nutrition Facts (Rootin'-Tootin' Hot Dogs)
- Per serving:
- 335 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 24 mg chol. ,
- 1018 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.