Root Beer Float Cake
The day before:
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape side of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in root beer flavoring. Alternately add flour mixture and root beer to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined (batter might appear slightly curdled). Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Frost with Float Frosting. Cut into 16 pieces. Tightly cover cake in pan and chill overnight.*
- Tote cake in pan in an insulated cooler with ice packs. If desired, top with candy before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
For longer storage, store cake or cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Root Beer Float Cupcakes:
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except spoon batter into twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups lined with paper bake cups, filling each two-thirds to three-fourths full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; cool completely on wire racks. Frost as directed. Transfer cupcakes to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.* Tote and serve as directed. Makes 24 cupcakes.
- Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Allow 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup of the ice cream and vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until combined. If necessary, stir in additional ice cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Makes 2 1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Root Beer Float Cake)
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 231 mg sodium ,
- 67 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 52 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.