Roma Tomato Jam and Manchego Cheese Bruschetta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 15x10x1-inch baking pans with parchment paper. Place tomatoes, cut sides down, in the prepared baking pans. Brush with oil. Roast about 1 hour or until skins begin to wrinkle and brown. Cool slightly.
- Remove skins from tomatoes; carefully scrape out seeds (it's OK if some seeds remain). Place tomatoes, half at a time, in a food processor. Cover and process with on/off pulses until slightly chunky.
- For a spice bag, place stick cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves in the center of a double-thick, 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring up corners; tie closed with clean kitchen string.
- In a large heavy saucepan combine tomatoes, spice bag, wine, honey, and vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour or until mixture reaches a thick jamlike consistency, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; remove and discard spice bag. Season to taste with kosher salt. Cool for 2 hours.
- Preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 1 minute or until light brown. Top with cheese. Broil about 2 minutes more or until cheese is softened. Top each baguette slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato jam and small basil leaves, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Transfer leftover jam to an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Roma Tomato Jam and Manchego Cheese Bruschetta)
- Per serving:
- 121 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 281 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.