Pull-Apart Cornmeal Dinner Rolls
- In small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup cornmeal, and the salt just until warm (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F) and butter almost melts. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add egg and warm milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (about 3 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Roll or pat dough into a 10x8-inch rectangle. Cut into 2-1/2 x 1-inch strips. Arrange strips in prepared pan, leaving about 1/4 inch between each strip. Cover; let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush rolls with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 to 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool slightly. Remove from pan and serve warm. Makes 32 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through Step 3, except do not let rolls rise in the pan. Cover pan and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Let rolls stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before baking. Bake as above.
Parmesan-Herb Dinner Rolls:
Prepare as above except add 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano, crushed, to the saucepan with the milk mixture. Brush rolls with the butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese instead of the cornmeal. Bake as above.
Nutrition Facts (Pull-Apart Cornmeal Dinner Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 90 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 94 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.