Classic Dinner Rolls
- Heat the milk to 120 degrees F to 130 degrees F; add the butter and set aside to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, in a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cooled milk, eggs, and sugar to dissolved yeast and stir to blend. With a wooden spoon stir in 2 cups of the flour and the salt; stir until smooth. Add 2 cups of remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring vigorously for 3 to 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic and only slightly sticky. (Only if needed, after 3 minutes of stirring and dough is overly wet, stir in 1 tablespoon flour at a time.
- Cover the surface of the dough with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Cover the top of the bowl with a second piece of plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (1 to 2 hours).*
- Lightly butter 24 muffin cups. Gently press the dough to deflate. With lightly buttered hands pinch off generous 1-inch pieces of dough. Fold the dough over, turning and tucking the edges to form a ball. Pinch the seam together to seal. Dip in melted butter and arrange three dough balls in each muffin cup. Let rise until fully doubled (about 1 hour).
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until well-browned. If needed, to prevent overbrowning, cover rolls with foil during last few minutes of baking. Remove from oven. Brush with softened butter. Return to oven for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove rolls immediately from cups to a wire cooling rack. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving. Makes 24 dinner rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
* For extra-light rolls, let the dough rise a second time (1 to 2 hours) before shaping.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Dinner Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 163 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 306 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
Bambi Mayer 533 Days Ago
Any tips on making these ahead of time, storing and reheating? I would love to take these to my sister's house where we will be having our meal. I'm cooking turkey so can't do the rolls just before leaving. Thanks!
Tara Clark 1599 Days Ago
followed this recipe and came out with scones, not dinner rolls.