Cheesy Millet and Black Pepper Breadsticks
- In a large bowl combine the warm water, yeast, and honey, stirring until yeast dissolves. Let stand for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Stir 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons butter into the yeast mixture. Stir in 1 cup of the whole wheat flour, the millet flour or all-purpose flour, pepper, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Stir in cheeses until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough that is almost smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). (Or switch to the dough hook attachment of the mixer and knead the dough on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.) Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease two large baking sheets or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- Roll dough to an 18x11-inch rectangle. Cut dough rectangle lengthwise in half, then crosswise in half to make four 9x5 1/2-inch rectangles. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into nine strips, each about 1/2 inch wide. Holding each strip by the ends, twist several times. Arrange strips close together on the prepared baking sheets. Cover with waxed paper and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a pastry brush, brush dough strips with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in the preheated oven about 12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
At this point, you can wrap the baking sheets with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Millet and Black Pepper Breadsticks)
- Per serving:
- 54 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 71 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.