- Grease a 9x9x2-inch square baking pan; set aside. In a shallow dish combine poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and lemon-pepper seasoning. In another shallow dish combine cornmeal and cheese. Place butter in a third dish. Working quickly, roll frozen dough pieces in butter, then in one of the seasoning mixtures to lightly coat, coating half of the rolls with the poppy seed-sesame seed mixture and the remaining rolls with the cornmeal-cheese seasoning mixture. Alternate rolls in the prepared pan. Cover rolls with greased plastic wrap. Let thaw in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove pan from refrigerator; uncover and let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes. After 35 minutes, preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove rolls from pan to wire rack. Cool slightly. Makes 16 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Garlic-Herb Checkerboard Rolls:
Prepare as above, except in Step 1 omit lemon-pepper seasoning. Substitute with 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
Nutrition Facts (Checkerboard Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 136 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 189 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.