Rollos del Mar (Rolls from the Sea or Stuffed Fish Fillets)
- Thaw seafood and fish, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse seafood and fish; pat dry with paper towels. Chop seafood. Set seafood and fish aside.
- For sauce, place chile pepper pieces in a small bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 20 minutes to soften pepper. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a food processor or blender combine half of the onion mixture (reserve the rest in the skillet), the pepper pieces, tomatoes, broth, whipping cream, salt, and black pepper. Cover and process or blend until smooth (mixture will look curdled). Set aside.
- For filling, add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add shrimp and squid; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or just until shrimp is opaque and squid is firm. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Transfer shrimp mixture to a food processor.* Cover and process just until shrimp mixture is finely chopped and mixture starts to come together.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place ham slices on a large cutting board. Top each ham slice with one of the fish fillets. Divide filling among fillets, spreading filling evenly over fillets. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place fish rolls, seam sides down, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until fish in the center of the rolls flakes when tested with a fork (cut through one of the fish rolls to check center). Meanwhile, place sauce in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce with fish rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
If you do not have a food processor, finely chop the shrimp and squid before cooking in the skillet. Stir snipped parsley into cooked shrimp mixture. (The shrimp mixture will be a bit looser and will not hold together as well as it does when made using a food processor.) Continue with Steps 4 and 5 as directed, pushing shrimp mixture back into the fish rolls as you roll them up.
Nutrition Facts (Rollos del Mar (Rolls from the Sea or Stuffed Fish Fillets))
- Per serving:
- 299 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 176 mg chol. ,
- 707 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 37 g pro.