Roasted Vegetable White Chicken Chili
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F Cut poblano peppers in half, lengthwise; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Place the peppers (cut sides up), the onion wedges and garlic cloves on a foil- lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender. Bring up foil around pepper mixture to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use a sharp knife to loosen the edges of the skins; gently pull off skin and discard. Peel garlic. Chop peppers, onion, and garlic.**
- In a large Dutch oven heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the roasted peppers, onions, and garlic; and the cumin; oregano; coriander; and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in beans and broth. Using a potato masher or fork, mash beans until chili is slightly thickened. Add corn. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and sour cream; heat through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- If desired, top with chopped avocado, cilantro, cheese, tortilla chips, and/or pepitas. Serve with lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
To save time, substitute two 4-ounce cans undrained fire-roasted diced green chilies for the poblanos. Omit Step 1. Chop the onion and garlic. In Step 2 increase cooking time to 5 to 7 minutes. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Vegetable White Chicken Chili)
- Per serving:
- 399 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 561 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 31 g pro.