Roasted Tomato & Poblano Soup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two 15x10-inch baking pans with foil; lightly coat foil with cooking spray. Place tomatoes and garlic in one prepared baking pan. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the oil and sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Roast tomatoes 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut poblano and sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on remaining prepared baking pan.
- Place peppers in oven alongside tomatoes. Roast 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are lightly charred and very tender. Bring foil up around peppers and fold edges together to enclose. Let stand 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel off and discard skins. Cut up peppers. Peel garlic; discard skins.
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, peppers, garlic, broth, oregano, and cumin. Using an immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. If desired, top servings with queso fresco, pepitas, and/or cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
If you don't have an immersion blender, place tomatoes and juices in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until nearly smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Tomato & Poblano Soup)
- Per serving:
- 107 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 420 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.