Roasted Pepper-Mozzarella Melts
- In a small bowl combine roasted pepper strips and vinegar; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, cut bread crosswise into four portions. Split each bread portion in half horizontally. Remove some of the soft bread from the inside of each half, leaving a 1/2-inch shell.
- Spread cut sides of bread portions with pesto. Top bottoms of bread portions with roasted pepper strips and cheese. Add tops of bread portions, pesto sides down. Lightly spread butter or brush olive oil onto outsides of sandwiches.
- Preheat a nonstick grill pan over medium heat. Place sandwiches, half at a time if necessary, in pan. Weight down with a heavy skillet and cook about 2 minutes or until bread is toasted. Turn sandwiches, weight down again, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread is toasted and filling is heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
To roast your own peppers, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut sweet red peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender. Bring the foil up around peppers to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use your fingers to peel off pepper skins; discard skins. Cut peppers into strips.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Pepper-Mozzarella Melts)
- Per serving:
- 391 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 670 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.