Roasted Pepper Hummus
The day before:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange unpeeled garlic cloves around peppers. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender. Bring the foil up around peppers and garlic and fold edges together to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use a sharp knife to loosen edges of the pepper skins; gently pull off the skins in strips and discard. Peel garlic.
- In a blender or food processor combine roasted peppers and garlic, garbanzo beans, green onions, tahini, lemon juice, salt, paprika, and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary. With the machine running, add 1/3 cup oil in a slow steady stream until combined.
- Transfer hummus to a storage container. If desired, drizzle with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with pine nuts and parsley. Cover and chill overnight.
- Tote hummus and, if using, vegetable dippers in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Serve hummus with pita wedges and/or vegetables.
From the Test Kitchen
To save time, skip the step of roasting your own sweet peppers and garlic. Simply use 3/4 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers and 2 teaspoons bottled minced roasted garlic in place of the fresh peppers and garlic.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Pepper Hummus )
- Per serving:
- 134 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 206 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.