Recipes and Cooking Roasted French Onion Soup 5.0 (1) Add your rating & review Put a roasted spin on classic French Onion Soup. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on October 21, 2016 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 25 mins Cook Time: 20 mins Roast Time: 45 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 30 mins Servings: 4 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 large sweet onions, sliced 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon butter, melted 2 cloves garlic, minced ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon black pepper 4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional) 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 8 slices French bread, toasted 2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (8 oz.) Snipped fresh thyme (optional) Directions Preheat oven to 375°F. Place onions in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Drizzle with oil and melted butter and sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 45 to 50 minutes or until very tender and light brown, stirring occasionally. Carefully pour 1 cup of the broth into pan, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Transfer mixture to a large saucepan. Add remaining 3 cups broth, sherry (if desired), and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place bread slices on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is light brown. Serve soup topped with bread slices and, if desired, additional cheese and/or thyme. Make It Vegan Substitute olive oil for the butter and desired soy cheese for the Gruyère cheese. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 514 Calories 26g Fat 43g Carbs 27g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 4 Calories 514 % Daily Value * Total Fat 26g 33% Saturated Fat 13g 65% Cholesterol 70mg 23% Sodium 1376mg 60% Total Carbohydrate 43g 16% Total Sugars 8g Protein 27g Vitamin C 6.6mg 33% Calcium 631mg 49% Iron 2.9mg 16% Potassium 258mg 5% Folate, total 99.9mcg Vitamin B-12 0.9mcg Vitamin B-6 0.2mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.