Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Prepare Easy Enchilada Sauce. Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan; add water to just below the bottom of the basket. Bring water to boiling. Add squash to basket. Cover and steam 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until browned; drain of any fat. Stir in steamed squash.
- Spread about 1 cup sauce in the prepared baking dish. Fill each tortilla with 1 Tbsp. of cheese, about 1/4 cup squash mixture, and 1 Tbsp. of the sauce. Bring sides around filling to enclose and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Spoon any remaining filling around tortillas in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas.
- Bake enchiladas, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with Mexican crema.
From the Test Kitchen
To save time, use precut butternut squash. Cut large pieces into 1/2-inch cubes.
Easy Enchilada Sauce
In a medium saucepan heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil over medium heat. Stir in 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Cook and stir 30 seconds more. Add 1, 15-oz. can tomato sauce and 1, 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth; whisk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper, and hot sauce, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Enchiladas )
- Per serving:
- 510 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 68 mg chol. ,
- 1167 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.