Roasted Butternut Squash and Chorizo Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium skillet cook chorizo over medium heat until browned; drain well. Combine chorizo and squash in prepared baking dish. Bake about 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from baking dish and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine cabbage, Swiss chard, and olive oil; toss to coat. Stir in avocado, pepper, onion, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt; set aside.
- Prepare Red Chile Sauce. Dip a tortilla into the warm sauce until slightly softened. Fill each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of cheese and about 2 tablespoons of squash mixture. Roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Pour any remaining warm sauce over the enchiladas.
- Bake enchiladas, covered, about 30 minutes or until heated through. To serve, place enchiladas on a plate and garnish with cilantro, Mexican crema, and chard slaw on the side.
From the Test Kitchen
Packaged and peeled butternut squash is fine to use simply cut the prepared chunks into smaller pieces.
Red Chile Sauce
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine broth, onions, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in chile peppers and tortilla pieces; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer half of the chile pepper mixture to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Strain processed or blended mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discard solids. Repeat with the remaining chile pepper mixture. Return strained mixture to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer sauce, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Butternut Squash and Chorizo Enchiladas )
- Per serving:
- 782 kcal ,
- 41 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 91 mg chol. ,
- 2108 mg sodium ,
- 77 g carb. ,
- 18 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.