Roast Stuffed Turkey with Mole Colorado
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large skillet cook first five ingredients (through garlic) until sausage is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in almonds, apricots, and oregano. Cook 1 to 2 minutes; cool slightly.
- For stuffing, in a large bowl combine egg, tostada shells, and sausage mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing to combine.
- Rinse turkey body cavity; pat dry. If desired, sprinkle body cavity with salt. Spoon stuffing loosely into neck and body cavities. Skewer neck skin to back. Tuck ends of drumsticks under band of skin across tail (or tie drumsticks to tail). Twist wing tips under back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle, without touching bone.
- Roast turkey 2 1/4 hours. Cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs will cook evenly. Roast 1 to 1 1/4 hours more or until thermometer registers at least 175 degrees F and center of the stuffing is 165 degrees F. (The juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.) During last 30 minutes of roasting, baste turkey with some of the Mole Colorado. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover turkey loosely with foil the last 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven. Cover and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, bring remaining mole to boiling. Serve turkey with mole and lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
- In a large dry skillet toast ancho and guajillo chile peppers over medium heat about 2 minutes or until fragrant and slightly darker, turning frequently. Remove and discard stems and seeds, break or tear into pieces; set aside.
- In the same skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sesame seed, ground black pepper and apple pie spice. Cook 1 minute more or until sesame seed is lightly toasted.
- Add undrained tomatoes and dried chile peppers to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, for 5 to 10 minutes or until peppers are tender. Stir in raisins and almonds. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough chicken broth or water until sauce is a basting consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Stuffed Turkey with Mole Colorado)
- Per serving:
- 826 kcal ,
- 39 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 16 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 336 mg chol. ,
- 953 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 92 g pro.