Roast Duck with Blackberry-Orange Sauce
- Adjust oven rack to lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Rinse duck body cavity; pat dry. Rub cavity with the 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place orange, celery, onion, and thyme in cavity. Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Brush duck with the 2 tablespoons orange liqueur.
- Place duck, breast side down, on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Add the hot water to the roasting pan. Place in lower third of oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove roasting pan from oven; drain fat.* Turn duck, breast side up. Roast for 45 to 60 minutes more or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets (165 degrees F). Juices may still appear pink.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan whisk together orange peel, orange juice, brown sugar, the 1/4 cup orange liqueur, the molasses, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened and syrupy. Stir in 2 cups blackberries. Use a potato masher or fork to coarsely mash berries. Cover and set aside.
- Transfer duck to a cutting board; let stand for 15 minutes. Discard stuffing mixture. Using kitchen shears, cut duck in half lengthwise. Cut each half between the breast and the thigh into 2 pieces. Drain fat from roasting pan. Arrange duck quarters in pan. Pour blackberry sauce over the duck. Return to oven. Roast in the 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
- Transfer duck pieces to a serving platter. Pour any juices in roasting pan over duck pieces. If desired, serve with additional blackberries.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, reserve the fat and toss a few tablespoons with potatoes or other root vegetables. Roast at 400 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until light brown and tender.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Duck with Blackberry-Orange Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 302 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 902 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
sirenlorelei 781 Days Ago
can this be adapted to a slow cooker meal?