Roast Beef with Beer-Braised Pinto Beans
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine beans and 4 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. (Or place beans and water in pan. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.) Drain and rinse beans and return to pot. Add fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until beans are just tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Rub 1 tablespoon oil over meat. Combine salt, pepper, and thyme and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the mixture over the meat. Place parsnips and squash in a 13x9-inch roasting or baking pan. Add remaining oil and salt mixture; toss to coat. Place roast on vegetables. Roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pancetta or bacon in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat for 8 minutes or until crisp. Drain pancetta on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon dripping in pan. Add onion to pan and cook for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, rosemary, beer, broth, and drained beans. Stir in pancetta. Bring just to boiling. Place uncovered pan in oven alongside roasting pan.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until meat registers 135 degrees F to 140 degrees F.
- Remove Dutch oven and roasting pan from oven. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat and slice. Stir roasted vegetables into bean mixture. Serve meat with bean mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
To use canned beans, skip step 1. Rinse and drain 2 15-ounce cans pinto or red beans and add as directed in step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Beef with Beer-Braised Pinto Beans)
- Per serving:
- 576 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 103 mg chol. ,
- 1175 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 10 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.