Red Velvet Marshmallow-Meringue Cupcakes
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line 36 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with mini paper bake cups (they will seem too small, but will allow the cupcakes to flatten during baking). In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat on medium speed about 2 minutes more or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in red food coloring and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. In a small bowl combine vinegar and baking soda; fold into batter.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, measure about 1 tablespoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Arrange cupcakes on a large baking sheet. Prepare and pipe Meringue Frosting onto cupcakes as directed. Bake as directed. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With a clean small paintbrush, brush stripes of red or green paste food coloring on inside of large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch open star tip; set aside. In a large bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Carefully spoon meringue into prepared pastry bag. Pipe frosting onto mini cupcakes. Bake for 10 minutes or until meringue begins to lightly brown. Cool. Chill to store.
Nutrition Facts (Red Velvet Marshmallow-Meringue Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 87 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 92 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.