Red Quinoa Salad with Raspberries and Beets
- In a small saucepan bring 11/2 cups of water to boiling. Add quinoa; return to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover tightly. Simmer about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- For dressing, in the bowl of a food processor combine 1/3 cup of the raspberries, the chile, shallot, sugar, and salt. Cover and process until pureed. Scrape down sides. Add vinegar; process until combined. With food processor running, slowly add oil in a thin steady stream (dressing will thicken as oil is added).
- In a large bowl gently combine cooked quinoa, lettuce, beets, and radishes. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to mix. Transfer quinoa mixture to a serving dish. Top with remaining raspberries, pistachios, and cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Place unpeeled beets in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Slip skins off beets.
Substitute cooked bulgur or red rice for the quinoa. Omit step 1; begin with step 2.
Nutrition Facts (Red Quinoa Salad with Raspberries and Beets)
- Per serving:
- 349 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 263 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.