- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Knead food coloring into one portion of dough. Leave the remaining dough portion plain.
- Shape each portion of dough into a rectangular log that is 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for at least 2 hours or until dough is very firm. Using a sharp knife, cut each log lengthwise into four slices. (You will have four 6x2-inch pieces from each color of dough.)
- Stack four dough slices together, alternating colors. (You will have two rectangular logs, each with four layers.) Press dough together to seal layers. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Cut each layered log lengthwise into four slices. (Each slice will have four layers in alternating colors.) Stack four dough slices together, alternating colors, to create a plaid effect. Trim edges to straighten, as necessary. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. (If desired, cut slices into desired shapes using 2-inch round cutters.) Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Red-Plaid Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 75 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
Bea Lee 1172 Days Ago
cookies turned out great!
Gemma Potts 1183 Days Ago
How many cookies is a serving??