Raspberry Angel Cakes
- For cupcakes: In an extra-large mixing bowl let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together three times; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 31/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Using a mixer on medium, beat until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift one-fourth of the flour mixture over egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths. Spoon into bake cups, filling each to top of cup. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and spring back when lightly touched. Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Remove bake cups from pan; cool completely.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke a hole in the center and to the bottom of each cupcake. Fill centers with three or four berries.
- For marshmallow frosting: In a large mixing bowl beat softened butter with a mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Add marshmallow creme; beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt; beat until light and fluffy. (If frosting is too stiff to spread, soften in a microwave oven no more than 10 seconds; beat again until smooth.) Using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, pipe frosting. Hold pastry bag directly over each cupcake. Squeeze and release, lifting bag; repeat twice. Top with fresh berries and sift with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
If only 13-oz. jars of marshmallow creme are available, purchase 2 jars and add 3 oz. (3/4 cup) to the 13 oz. jar.
Nutrition Facts (Raspberry Angel Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 542 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 263 mg sodium ,
- 79 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 61 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
nicolekvarda 514 Days Ago
The frosting in this recipe is very strange...really salty! I used unsalted butter and added the 1 teaspoon of fine salt that it calls for, but you could actually taste the granules of salt in the frosting! Maybe it was a misprint and it should be 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon?