Quinoa with Roasted Beets and Thyme Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut tops off beets and trim root ends. Halve or quarter beets. Place beets and garlic in a 15x10-inch baking pan. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the oil and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. of the salt and the pepper; toss to coat. Cover with foil.
- Roast 20 to 25 minutes or until beets are tender. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. If desired, to remove skins, wrap beets, one at a time, in a paper towel and gently rub to remove skins. (If skins are very tender, you do not need to remove them.) Mash garlic.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the water, quinoa, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- For vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine the remaining 3 Tbsp. oil, the mashed garlic, vinegar, thyme, and mustard. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Cover and shake well.
- In a serving dish arrainge cooked quinoa, vinaigrette, cheese, walnuts, and shallot.
- Top quinoa mixture with roasted beets. Sprinkle with additional snipped fresh thyme. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
Make It Vegan
Omit the cheese. If desired, substitute 1/3 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives for the cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Quinoa with Roasted Beets and Thyme Vinaigrette)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 521 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.