Quinoa Salad with Poached Eggs
- In a medium saucepan cook bacon until browned and crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Pour bacon drippings into a bowl.
- Return 2 teaspoons of the bacon drippings to the saucepan. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot drippings over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in quinoa and the water.* Cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Cool quinoa completely.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the bacon and pistachios together. In a bowl whisk together the next five ingredients (through pepper). Add cooled quinoa mixture and the mixed greens; toss gently to coat.
- To poach eggs, fill a large skillet halfway with water. Bring water to boiling; reduce heat to simmering (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the eggs into a small dish. Carefully slide egg into simmering water, holding the lip of the dish as close to the water as possible. Repeat with the remaining eggs, positioning so the eggs don't touch. Simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon; blot on a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Spoon greens mixture into serving dishes; top with poached eggs. Sprinkle with bacon mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
To use purchased cooked quinoa, prepare recipe as directed except omit water. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa to the medium saucepan with the onions; heat through. Continue as directed. Or cool quinoa mixture; place in an airtight container and chill up to 2 days.
To Make Ahead
Prep quinoa mixture as directed in Step 3, omitting greens. Poached eggs can be transferred to a baking dish, covered, and chilled up to 24 hours. To reheat, place a steamer basket in an extra-large skillet. Add water to just below the basket and bring to a gentle boil. Add eggs. Cover and steam approximately 3 minutes. To assemble, stir greens into quinoa mixture and top with egg and bacon mixure.
Nutrition Facts (Quinoa Salad with Poached Eggs)
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 188 mg chol. ,
- 478 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.