St. Lucia Buns
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, the 1/3 cup sugar, butter, salt, cardamom, and saffron just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add whole egg. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the 1/4 cup raisins, ground almonds, and as much remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into ball. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (1 to 1-1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease baking sheet(s).
- To shape buns, divide each dough portion into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-inch-long rope. Place 3 inches apart on prepared sheets. Form each rope into an S shape, coiling ends snail fashion. (If desired, make double buns by pressing the centers of 2 of the S-shaped pieces together to form a cross.) Press 1 raisin into center of each coil. Cover; let rise in warm place until nearly double (30 to 40 minutes). Stir together egg white and water. Lightly brush onto buns. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheets. Serve warm or cool. Makes 24 single buns.
From the Test Kitchen
*Note Use a grinder, blender, or food processor to grind nuts.
Nutrition Facts (St. Lucia Buns)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 76 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.