- Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 loaf (14 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Blueberry Nut Bread:
Prepare as above, except add 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel to flour mixture. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup dried blueberries with 1/4 cup boiling water. Cover and let stand 10 minutes; drain if necessary. Fold blueberries into batter along with nuts. Nutrition Facts per serving: 231 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 16 mg chol., 183 mg sodium, 35 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 1% vit A, 1% vit. C, 10% calcium, 7% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 .5 Other Carbo., 1.5 Fat
Cranberry Nut Bread:
Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside. Prepare as above, except add 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel to flour mixture. Substitute orange juice for the milk and fold 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries into batter along with nuts. Nutrition Facts per serving: 210 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 174 mg sodium, 32 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 4 g pro.
Daily Values: 1% vit A, 17% vit. C, 8% calcium, 7% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbo., 1.5 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Nut Bread)
- Per serving:
- 207 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 183 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.