- Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of one 8x4x2-inch loaf pan or two 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add the 1 cup sugar and beat about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Add flour, buttermilk, lemon peel, baking soda, and salt. Beat just until combined. Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and spread evenly. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 45 minutes for 8x4x2-inch loaf and about 40 minutes for 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaves or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center(s) comes out clean. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.)
- Cool in pan(s) on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s). Place on wire rack set over parchment or waxed paper.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar until sugar is dissolved. Spoon glaze over top(s). Cool completely on the wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves (16 servings.)
From the Test Kitchen
Bake loaf or loaves. Glaze, then cool completely. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Or, place cooled loaves in freezer containers or bags and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Bread)
- Per serving:
- 174 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 151 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.