- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for four to six strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet and serve warm.
- Makes 12 biscuits.
From the Test Kitchen
If baking powder and cream of tartar appear lumpy, sift through a fine mesh sieve before using.
Prepare as above, except substitute 1-1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1 cup milk in the rolled biscuits and 1-1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1-1/4 cups milk in the drop biscuits.
Drop Biscuits Supreme:
Prepare as above through step 1, except increase milk to 1-1/4 cups. Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds onto a greased baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Makes 12 biscuits.
Nutrition Facts (Biscuits Supreme)
- Per serving:
- 227 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 350 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.