Puttanesca Pasta Sauce
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovies, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Cut peeled tomatoes into chunks; add some of the chunks to a food processor. Cover and process until chopped. Transfer chopped tomatoes to a 7- to 8-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot. Working in batches, repeat chopping the remaining tomatoes in the food processor. Add all of the tomatoes to the pot.
- Add garlic mixture, dried tomatoes, brown sugar, salt, and vinegar to tomatoes in pot. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 70 to 85 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency (you should have about 11 cups), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in olives, oregano, capers, and lemon peel.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice into each of seven hot sterilized pint canning jars. Ladle hot sauce into jars with lemon juice, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 35 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve the sauce over pasta such as penne, linguine, bucatini, or fusilli. Top with drained, oil-packed tuna; poached or broiled fish fillets; or sauteed shrimp and/or steamed mussels. Sprinkle with finely shredded Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley.
To peel tomatoes, use a small sharp knife to cut a shallow "X" into the bottom of each tomato. Immerse tomatoes in batches in boiling water to cover. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until tomato skins split open. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomatoes to a large bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, use the knife or your fingers to peel skin off tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts (Puttanesca Pasta Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 44 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 433 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.