Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple-Brown Butter Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl stir together first seven ingredients (through cloves).
- In a large bowl beat brown sugar, oil, and melted butter with a mixer on medium until combined. Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Add flour mixture, half at a time, beating well after each addition (batter will resemble thick cake batter).
- Drop batter by tablespoons 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove; cool on a wire rack.
- Spread Maple-Brown Butter Filling on bottoms of half of the cookies, using about 2 tsp. for each cookie. Top with remaining cookies, bottom sides down; press gently to spread filling. Chill 30 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Place filled cookies in a single layer in an airtight container. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days. Tops of cookies will be slightly tacky, so let cookies stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. For longer storage, freeze unfilled cookies up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies and fill as directed.
Maple-Brown Butter Filling
- In a small saucepan heat butter over medium-low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a light golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat browned butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves; beat on low speed until combined. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple-Brown Butter Filling)
- Per serving:
- 510 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 397 mg sodium ,
- 77 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 55 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.