Pumpkin Soup with Manchego Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees . Line a 1510-inch baking pan with foil.
- Halve pumpkin; remove seeds and strings. If desired, toast seeds for topping soup. Place cut sides down on prepared pan. Bake 1 hour or until tender; remove. Turn over; let cool. Scoop out pulp; discard skin. Working in batches, place pumpkin in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Let stand 1 hour, then press lightly to remove liquid. Discard liquid. (You should have 13/4 cups.)
- Meanwhile, in a 4- to 5-qt. pot heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender. Add broth, water, and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in pumpkin. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (Or working in batches, process in a blender.) Simmer over medium. Slowly add Gruyere, stirring until melted. Stir in cream, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper; heat through.
- For croutons: Increase oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 1510-inch baking pan with foil. Spread bread cubes in pan. Toss with remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with Manchego. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Top soup with croutons.
From the Test Kitchen
To Toast Seeds:
Rinse seeds to remove strings; pat dry. Spread in a shallow baking pan; sprinkle with 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Roast in a 400 degrees F oven 5 to 8 minutes, stirring once.
To Serve in a Whole Pumpkin:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off top portion of a 6-lb. pumpkin; remove seeds and strings. Place right side up on a baking sheet lined with foil; brush inside and out with vegetable oil. Roast 40 minutes or until golden brown and just tender; let cool. Fill with soup.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Soup with Manchego Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 308 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 672 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.