Pumpkin Bread Trifle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. In a large bowl stir together 3 cups granulated sugar, the pumpkin, oil, 2/3 cup water, and eggs until combined. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir into pumpkin mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for pecans, lightly grease a baking sheet. Place pecans close together in a single layer on prepared sheet. In a small saucepan bring 3 tablespoons water and remaining 3/4 cup sugar to boiling over medium; do not stir. Continue cooking over medium, without stirring, until mixture turns golden, about 6 minutes. As mixture cooks, use a pastry brush to brush sides of the pan with water to prevent crystals from forming. Remove from heat and pour over pecans. Let stand until cool, then break into pieces.
- In a large bowl beat heavy cream, sour cream, powdered sugar, and bourbon with a mixer just until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, cut one bread loaf into 1-inch cubes. (Wrap and store remaining bread at room temperature up to 3 days or label and freeze up to 1 month.) In a 4-quart trifle dish make three layers of bread cubes, pecans, cream, and if desired, pomegranate seeds and caramel topping.
From the Test Kitchen
Assemble, cover and chill up to 8 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Bread Trifle)
- Per serving:
- 685 kcal ,
- 39 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 12 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 97 mg chol. ,
- 338 mg sodium ,
- 80 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 57 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.