Recipes and Cooking Pumpkin-Almond Macarons Be the first to rate & review! Look out -- these pumpkin cookies are addicting! Put this delicious pumpkin recipe at the top of your to-make list. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on August 25, 2016 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Andy Lyons Prep Time: 45 mins Stand Time: 30 mins Bake Time: 18 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 33 mins Servings: 30 Yield: 30 sandwich cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 ¼ cup almond flour, such as Bob's Red Mill 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 3 egg whites, room temperature ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar ¼ cup granulated sugar ¼ teaspoon almond extract ½ cup pumpkin butter Directions Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a food processor cover and process almond flour and powdered sugar 1 minute, stopping once to scrape mixture from bottom of bowl. Sift flour mixture, a little at a time, through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon to pass through as much as possible. Discard any large pieces that remain in sieve (up to 1 Tbsp.). Stir pumpkin pie spice into flour mixture. In a large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer on medium 1 minute or until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating on high 4 minutes or until stiff, shiny peaks form. Gently fold flour mixture into egg whites until all of the flour mixture is incorporated (about 50 strokes), giving bowl a quarter turn with each fold. Add almond extract. Continue folding and turning 2 to 3 minutes more, scraping down bowl, until batter is smooth and falls off spatula in a thin, flat ribbon. Transfer mixture (batter will be thin) to a large decorating bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. Pipe 1 1/4-inch circles 1 inch apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Drop sheets five times against counter to release any air bubbles. Let stand 30 to 45 minutes or until tops of cookies are no longer sticky. Preheat oven to 300°F. Bake 18 minutes or until tops of cookies are set and shiny, and rise 1/8 inch to form the ruffled edge called the "foot." Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks. Carefully peel cookies off parchment paper. Spread pumpkin butter on bottoms of half of the cookies, using about 1/2 tsp. for each cookie. Top with remaining cookies, bottom sides down. To Store Layer unfilled cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days. Fill as directed. Double-Almond Macarons Prepare as directed, except omit pumpkin pie spice and fill cookies with Almond Butter Frosting instead of pumpkin butter. For Almond Butter Frosting, in a medium bowl beat 3 Tbsp. softened butter with a mixer on medium until smooth. Beat in 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. milk, and 1/2 tsp. almond extract until combined. Beat in 1 cup additional powdered sugar. If needed, beat in additional milk, 1 tsp. at a time, to reach spreading consistency. Per Sandwich Cookie: 97 calories, 1 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 15 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 15 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 1% iron Chocolate Macarons Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder for pumpkin pie spice and fill cookies with chocolate-hazelnut spread instead of pumpkin butter. Per Sandwich Cookie: 72 calories, 2 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 9 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 7 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 2% iron Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 65 Calories 2g Fat 11g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 30 Calories 65 % Daily Value * Total Fat 2g 3% Sodium 12mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 11g 4% Total Sugars 10g Protein 1g Calcium 11mg 1% Iron 0.2mg 1% Potassium 8mg 0% Folate, total 0.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.