Pulled Pork with Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce and Kohlrabi Slaw
- Trim fat from meat. In a bowl combine thyme, paprika, and garlic pepper seasoning. Sprinkle mixture all over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place onion in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. If necessary, cut meat to fit in the cooker. Place meat in cooker. Pour broth over meat. Cover and cook on low 9 to 10 hours or on high 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Shred meat using two forks. Remove cooking liquid and onion from slow cooker. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Discard onion. Measure 1/4 cup of the liquid. Return meat and the 1/4 cup liquid to slow cooker. Stir some of the Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce into the meat. Reserve the remaining sauce. Cover and cook on low 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for slaw, in a bowl combine kohlrabi and carrots. For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, oil, and sugar. Cover and shake well. Drizzle dressing over kohlrabi mixture; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Serve pork mixture on buns with the reserved barbecue sauce and kohlrabi slaw.
From the Test Kitchen
To prepare rhubarb, wash stems and trim off and discard leaves. Cut off the bottoms of the stems. Slice or chop rhubarb as directed in recipes. (HT photos on page 343 of Fresh Cookbook)
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
- In a medium saucepan combine all of the ingredients. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until rhubarb is very tender and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Mash rhubarb slightly. (Sauce can be cooled and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.)
Nutrition Facts (Pulled Pork with Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce and Kohlrabi Slaw)
- Per serving:
- 340 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 60 mg chol. ,
- 775 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.