Pulled Pork Shoulder Sandwich
- For rub, in a small bowl stir together paprika, black pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
- In a smoker arrange preheated coals, wood chunks, and water pan according to manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place meat on the grill rack over water pan. Cover and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until meat is very tender. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture. Do not add wood after the first 2 hours of smoking. (Too much smoke can give a bitter taste to smoked meat.)
- Remove meat from smoker. Cover meat with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. Cut meat into thick pieces. Using two forks, gently pull the meat into long, thin shreds. Place pulled pork in a large bowl. Add about 1-1/2 cups of the Vinegar Barbecue Sauce. Stir until slightly moist, adding sauce if necessary.
- To serve, pile meat mixture onto buns. If desired, sprinkle with hot pepper sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
For the most smoke production, soak wood chunks or chips in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before grilling. Drain wood chunks or chips before using.
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. Reheat in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
- In a clean 1-quart jar with a screw-top lid combine cider vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, crushed red pepper, bottled hot pepper sauce, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and shake well.
Nutrition Facts (Pulled Pork Shoulder Sandwich)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 76 mg chol. ,
- 875 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.