Puff Pastry Tarts
- Cut butter in small pieces and put on a plate. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- In a small bowl combine the ice water and lemon juice. Slowly add the water mixture to the flour mixture, pulsing until the dough just comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough a few times so that any dry bits are incorporated. Divide dough in half, form into two discs and wrap each with plastic wrap. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. On a lightly floured surface, roll one batch of dough to 1/8-inch thick. Use 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Repeat with remaining dough. Place half the stars 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to brush egg mixture over the surface of the stars. Place 1/4 teaspoon jam onto the middle of each star. Cut a 3/4- to 1-inch circle out of the center of the remaining stars*. Place each over the jam dollop. Using a fork, gently seal the edges of the star by pressing the tines along the edges of the dough. Brush the top of the stars with the egg mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pies are golden brown. Serve slightly warm or cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
If you do not have a 3/4 to 1-inch round cutter, cut a 1/2-inch slit in the center of the stars. Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press dough out to form a small 3/4- to 1-inch round hole.
Nutrition Facts (Puff Pastry Tarts)
- Per serving:
- 94 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 22 mg chol. ,
- 82 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.