Protein Packed Pancakes
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). If desired, stir in desired fruit.
- For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Spread batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown; turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. If desired, top with butter and syrup.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except use 1 cup all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. Stir 1/2 cup chopped banana and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts into the pancake batter before pouring portions onto griddle. 159 cal., 8 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 g pro., 19 g carb., 17 mg chol., 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes
Prepare as directed, except use 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1/4 cup chocolate-flavored whey protein powder. Stir 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped peanuts into pancake batter before pouring portions onto griddle. Top pancakes with a schmear of peanut butter. 171 cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 6 g pro., 19 g carb., 22 mg chol., 2 g fiber, 6 g sugar
Prepare as directed, except use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/4 cup oat bran, wheat bran, or toasted wheat germ. Stir 1/2 cup blueberries into pancake batter before pouring potions onto griddle. Top pancakes with nonfat honey-flavored Greek yogurt and toasted almonds (if desired). 137 cal., 4 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 g pro., 21 g carb., 18 mg chol., 1 g fiber, 7 g sugar
1. When stirring the wet ingredients into flour mixture, the batter should be slightly lumpy. Do not overmix. 2. Pour batter onto griddle or skillet using a scoop or 1/4-cup measuring cup to portion the batter. 3. Turn pancakes to the second sides when top surfaces are bubbly and edges look slightly dry.
Nutrition Facts (Protein Packed Pancakes)
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 179 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.