Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Soak twenty 6-inch wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Cut scallops in half.
- Lay prosciutto or bacon strips on a large cutting board. Top each prosciutto strip with a medium-size basil leaf; add a scallop half. Starting from a short end, roll up each prosciutto strip around scallop. Thread each appetizer onto a skewer. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place the skewers on the lightly greased unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat 6 to 8 minutes or until scallops are opaque and prosciutto or bacon is crisp, turning once.
- Serve skewers with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli for dipping. If desired, top aioli with snipped fresh basil.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the aioli as directed. Cover and chill up to 2 days. Thin with a little water, if desired.
1. Halve each scallop through the center. 101405753.jpg 2. Cut each slice of prosciutto in half lengthwise. 101405754.jpg 3. Lay a basil leaf over top the prosciutto. Place a scallop half onto the basil and, starting from a short end, roll the prosciutto and basil around the scallop. 101405755.jpg 4. Thread each wrapped scallop onto a 6-inch wooden skewer. 101405756.jpg
Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
- In a blender or food processor combine 1/2 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained, and 2 cloves garlic, cut up. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Add 1/3 cup mayonnaise. Cover and blend until smooth. With the blender or processor running, gradually add 2 tablespoons olive oil through the opening in lid or feed tube, blending until smooth. Remove Aioli to a bowl. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a dash freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli)
- Per serving:
- 92 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 231 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.